Outing to Ballyscullion Park, near Bellaghy, and Broughshane Village, 1 June 2013
Our first stop was the home of the Mulholland family, Ballyscullion Park, where we had tea/coffee and scones and then were escorted around the house by Rosalind Mulholland. The house, designed by Charles Lanyon, dates from 1840. In a walk around the grounds we saw the foundations of the original building, built by Augustus Hervey, Earl Bishop of Derry, which date from 1789. The present house and grounds were used for training purposes by British and U.S. troops during WW2.
After lunch in Broughshane Community Centre we visited the Village Museum and walked in the wildfowl park. Our outing concluded with a meal in Drumadoon Restaurant at Cloughmills.
Broughshane Museum. Jim Nesbitt, Pamela Hutchinson, Jo Carter, Pat Fulton.
A recent article in the Coleraine Chronicle stated that there were plans to refurbish this dilapidated, historic building. Good news. This work has now started.
Update – the outside of the building has been painted and is looking very well. As yet the extension to the side has not commenced.
Several members of the Society attended this new exhibition on Friday 31 May 2013 which was opened by the Mayor of Coleraine. Garvagh was a private Plantation town established by the Canning family.
This was an excellent display on the Plantation which included artefacts from local archaeological digs. After a light lunch Nick Brannon gave a talk on Coleraine and the Plantation followed by a walk from the Town Hall into St. Patrick’s Church. A number of the Society’s members attended.
At our April meeting Jennifer Cunningham was presented with gifts to acknowledge her 13 years of Chairman of the Society. Our new Chairman is Pamela Henderson.
Photo: Coleraine Historical Society member, Mike Jones, presents gifts to Jennifer Cunningham, as she steps down from the post as Chairperson.
Our AGM was held on 19 March in the Lodge Hotel Coleraine and was attended by 46 members and guests. As the Secretary and Chairman were unable to attend, the meeting was jointly chaired by the Treasurer Diana Kirkpatrick and committee member Chris Kirkpatrick. Mike Jones acted as Secretary. A new Chairman, Pamela Henderson, was elected and the existing committee members were re-elected.
On his retirement as long serving Treasurer Mr Jim Cameron received a presentation from the Chairman Mrs. Jennifer Cunningham on behalf of the Society.
Members of the Coleraine Historical Society presenting items to the Museum which had been originally donated to the society from Campbell Owens from Belfast.
Included, front row are The Mayor of Coleraine, Alderman Maurice Bradley; Sarah Carson, Collections Access Officer and Diana Kirkpatrick.
Back row are Helen Perry, Museum Service; Chris Kirkpatrick, Trevor Adams, Jim Cameron, Jennifer Cunningham and Pamela Hutchinson
Members of the society observed & helped with the archaeological dig by Dr Colin Breen.
Left: Jim Cameron, Julia Mullin & Chris Kirkpatrick with Dunluce Castle in the background
Right: The dig at Dunluce Castle
This was an enjoyable outing which first stopped in Draperstown, for morning coffee, followed by a tour of the village. It was then on to Moneymore to see the Model Village and have a packed lunch in the Old Courthouse. Next stop was Wellbrook Beetling Mill on the banks of the Ballinderry River followed by a drive through the hills to see the Beaghmore Stone Circles which date back to 5000 BC. An excellent meal was had in the Shepherd’s Rest before returning home.