On Saturday 11 June 2016 29 members and 4 guests left Coleraine at 9.30am to visit Lissan House near Cookstown. On arrival we were served scones, tea and coffee in the ballroom.
This was followed by a conducted tour of the house lasting over an hour. The original part of the house dates back to the 17th century.Restoration work has been done and much more is required and this is under way when funds are available. It is not a National Trust property. [The house featured in the BBC’s Restoration programme several years ago and came second thanks to the efforts of its then occupier Ms Dolling, now deceased.] The house is well worth a visit.
After Lissan House we had an excellent lunch in Tullylagan Country House Hotel and this was followed by a visit to Killymoon Castle.
Our final stop for tea, coffee and biscuits was at the Burnavon Centre in Cookstown. A very enjoyable day.
Sixty eight members and guests attended the AGM and dinner in the Lodge Hotel, Coleraine. Last year’s committee was re-elected. An excellent meal was followed by an interesting talk by speaker Alison McCaughan. She chose various dates from the 1600’s onwards and told us in what state the town of Coleraine would have been.
2016/2017 Committee Members – Front Row from left: Chris Kirkpatrick, Diana Kirkpatrick, Speaker Alison McCaughan, Barbara Harding, Jo Carter. Back Row from left: Nigel McIlwaine, Joanne Kennedy, Mike Jones, Anne-Marie Huston, Michael Thompson, Jennifer Cunningham.
Standing from left: Michael Thompson, Ken Ward, Jim Hunter, Mike Jones, Mike Turner. Seated from left: Jim Nesbitt, Eileen Ward, Christine Turner, Sharon Harbinson, Nigel McIlwaine.
This map has just been published. ISBN 978-1-84784-931-1 and is available from Waterstones and alangodfreymaps.co.uk. The Coleraine (North) map is due to be published in early 2016.
Back row, (L to R):- Hugh McGrattan, Ashley Hawley, Jon Marshall, Tommy McDonald, Charles Smith (Treasurer), Front row, (L to R):- Felix Agnew (Chairman), Pauline Stevenson, John Moulden (Vice-Chairman), Maggie Forbes, Peggy Vowles.
At present (November 2017) we have 106 Local Members and 25 Associate Members
Are you interested in knowing who spoke to us at previous meetings or who was on previous committees? If so go to Programme and move to the end of the page. Click on the programme to highlight it. More are being added as I try to find copies.
Recently members of the Committee have submitted articles to the Down Memory Lane Page of the Coleraine Chronicle. These usually appear once a month. So far we have done:
Old Killowen – 4 March 2015; What was in the news 50 years ago? – 9 July 2015; The Model School Coleraine – 27 August 2015; Large houses in the area – 10 September 2015; 6 Light Anti-Aircraft Battery R.A. (S.R.) Coleraine Battery – 22 October 2015; Bathing places on the Causeway Coast – 26 November 2015 and 28 January 2016; Severe Weather Events Recorded – 3 March 2016; Entertainment in days gone by – 12 October 2016.
Several members of the Society attended this event which was organized by Garvagh Museum and held in Ballintemple House, near Garvagh, on 18 June 2015. Wilbert Patterson gave a short history of the Heyland (pronounced Highland) family who came to the house in the mid 1760’s. Major Heyland was killed at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 and a moving letter from him to his wife was read. A family memorial was unveiled in the garden.
See Bann Disc vol 21, 2015 for an article on Major Heyland.
On 13 June 40 members and guests set out to Donegal. A stop for tea was made in Londonderry and then the group proceeded to Culdaff for a light lunch. This was followed by a visit to Culdaff House where its fascinating history was explained. Cronca Church and Cross was the next stop and then Carndonagh with its ancient Cross. The evening meal was taken in the Drummond Hotel, Ballykelly and this ended an enjoyable outing.
To our member Joan Bell who received the B.E.M. in the recent Queen’s Birthday Honours for contributions to the Performing Arts.