Twenty nine members and guests went on the Outing.
Our first stop was Sinclair Seamen’s Church in Corporation Square, Belfast. A most interesting church which was built in 1857 and contains many maritime artefacts including the bell from HMS Hood (WW1), a ship’s wheel and capstan, an incliner, binnacle, ship’s log and an anchor.
Our next stop was the gasworks museum in Carrickfergus, the only one in Ireland. To sustain us before the talk and tour we were offered tea, coffee, biscuits and tray bakes. A comprehensive tour explained the production of gas from coal from 1855 to 1987. Many examples of gas powered equipment were on display. Some brave members climbed to the top of the gas holder and had an excellent view over the town. After closure the plant was restored by Carrickfergus Gasworks Preservation Society.
A substantial meal was served in the Chimney Corner Hotel before our last stop in the village of Gracehill which was set up by Moravians, from what is now the Czech Republic, in 1765. After a visit to the old school house we then had a walk around the grass covered square which was was so peaceful. Finally we visited the church and here we learnt of the early and present life and customs of a Moravian in the village.
Some of the houses in the village will be open to the public on Heritage Weekend in September.
Our AGM and Dinner were held in the Lodge Hotel Coleraine on Tuesday 21 March 2017. The existing committee was re-elected with Robert Anderson taking over the Chair from Barbara Harding. Sixty-six members and guests enjoyed an excellent meal followed by John Moore’s illustrated talk on the changing face of Portrush. In 1837 the first hotel opened – the Antrim Arms. 1855 saw the first train arrive. 1891 the famous White House store opened and still survives today. Sadly Fawcett’s, the Metropole, Northern Counties and Castle Erin hotels no longer exist. The railway station still exists and the famous clock is in storage.
2017/18 Committee. Back row:- Joanne Kennedy, Mike Jones, Jennifer Cunningham, Nigel McIlwaine, Michael Thompson. Front row:- Jo Carter, Chris Kirkpatrick,(Treasurer), Robert Anderson,(Chairman), Diana Kirkpatrick, (Secretary), Barbara Harding, Anne-Marie Huston.
On Saturday 11 June 2016 29 members and 4 guests left Coleraine at 9.30am to visit Lissan House near Cookstown. On arrival we were served scones, tea and coffee in the ballroom.
This was followed by a conducted tour of the house lasting over an hour. The original part of the house dates back to the 17th century.Restoration work has been done and much more is required and this is under way when funds are available. It is not a National Trust property. [The house featured in the BBC’s Restoration programme several years ago and came second thanks to the efforts of its then occupier Ms Dolling, now deceased.] The house is well worth a visit.
After Lissan House we had an excellent lunch in Tullylagan Country House Hotel and this was followed by a visit to Killymoon Castle.
Our final stop for tea, coffee and biscuits was at the Burnavon Centre in Cookstown. A very enjoyable day.
Sixty eight members and guests attended the AGM and dinner in the Lodge Hotel, Coleraine. Last year’s committee was re-elected. An excellent meal was followed by an interesting talk by speaker Alison McCaughan. She chose various dates from the 1600’s onwards and told us in what state the town of Coleraine would have been.
2016/2017 Committee Members – Front Row from left: Chris Kirkpatrick, Diana Kirkpatrick, Speaker Alison McCaughan, Barbara Harding, Jo Carter. Back Row from left: Nigel McIlwaine, Joanne Kennedy, Mike Jones, Anne-Marie Huston, Michael Thompson, Jennifer Cunningham.
Standing from left: Michael Thompson, Ken Ward, Jim Hunter, Mike Jones, Mike Turner. Seated from left: Jim Nesbitt, Eileen Ward, Christine Turner, Sharon Harbinson, Nigel McIlwaine.
This map has just been published. ISBN 978-1-84784-931-1 and is available from Waterstones and alangodfreymaps.co.uk. The Coleraine (North) map is due to be published in early 2016.
Back row, (L to R):- Hugh McGrattan, Ashley Hawley, Jon Marshall, Tommy McDonald, Charles Smith (Treasurer), Front row, (L to R):- Felix Agnew (Chairman), Pauline Stevenson, John Moulden (Vice-Chairman), Maggie Forbes, Peggy Vowles.
At present (August 2017) we have 104 Local Members and 25 Associate Members
Are you interested in knowing who spoke to us at previous meetings or who was on previous committees? If so go to Programme and move to the end of the page. Click on the programme to highlight it. More are being added as I try to find copies.
Recently members of the Committee have submitted articles to the Down Memory Lane Page of the Coleraine Chronicle. These usually appear once a month. So far we have done:
Old Killowen – 4 March 2015; What was in the news 50 years ago? – 9 July 2015; The Model School Coleraine – 27 August 2015; Large houses in the area – 10 September 2015; 6 Light Anti-Aircraft Battery R.A. (S.R.) Coleraine Battery – 22 October 2015; Bathing places on the Causeway Coast – 26 November 2015 and 28 January 2016; Severe Weather Events Recorded – 3 March 2016; Entertainment in days gone by – 12 October 2016.