Our meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of the month in the Sandel Centre, 6 Knocklynn Road, Coleraine BT52 1WT at 7.30 p.m unless otherwise stated. There are no meetings in July, August nor December. Visitors are very welcome at all our meetings. Admission for non-members is £3.00 per head. This includes tea/coffee and biscuits after the meeting.
THIS IS A CHANGE TO THE ORIGINAL PROGRAMME
Volume 24, 2018 will be launched on Tuesday 6 November 2018 at 7.30 p.m. in the Sandel Centre, 6 Knocklynn Road, Coleraine. Guest speaker will be Claire Sugden MLA.
This was a very well attended talk by members and visitors. Geoff, who worked for the Geological Survey for many years, commenced his talk with an overview of bauxite, coal, iron ore, lignite and salt mining in N.Ireland.
There are historical references to lignite working near Old Ballywillan Church from 1875 until 1920. Iron ore was the main mineral mined in the area around Portrush. The main producers were mines at Ballycraig, Ballylagan, Dunluce and Urbalreagh. Some bauxite and lignite mining took place particularly at Craigahullier. Most of the ore was shipped in small schooners to Cumbrian ports, such as Maryport, from where it was taken by rail to the iron and steel works at Barrow-in-Furness.
Old mines can be dangerous and the Department of the Economy which owns all abandoned mines in N.Ireland prohibit access.
Mike Jones gave the vote of thanks to Geoff.
A good attendance for the first meeting of the season heard Norman Thorpe of the Shackleton Aviation & Space Museum, give an illustrated talk on RAF Ballykelly which was opened in June 1941. (It was 1 of 5 airfields in the area – Eglinton, Maydown, Mullaghmore and Limavady).
Liberators, leased from the U.S.A., were flown from the U.S.A. to the base by women. 3 Liberators crashed in June 1944. The base had a hospital outside the town at Cariecue.
The Derry/Londonderry railway line crossed the airfield with priority being given to trains.
The airfield was busy during the Cold War with Vulcans based there. 500 married quarters were provided and some staff lived in Portrush and Portstewart.
The base closed in 2008 and all but one building will be demolished.
Norman Thorpe, speaker, and Bill Wilsdon, treasurer
This year’s outing will be to Dunmore House, Carrigans, Donegal followed by St.Columb’s Park and Ashbrook House in Derry/Londonderry.
See NEWS section for report and photos.
Alison explained the reasons for the 1718 migration from the Dunboe area to America also the conditions they met on arrival. Presbyterians and Roman Catholics felt persecuted by the Church of Ireland to which they had to pay tithes. Poor harvests and famine were an incentive to the taking of a brave decision to sail in small ships (70 tons or less) on an 8 week journey. On settling in Maine many of the Dunboe people were not made welcome and their expectations were shattered by constant disputes over land.
In 1988 Alison published “Heath, Hearth and Heart – the Story of Dunboe and the Meeting House at Articlave”.
Alison McCaughan, speaker, and Joanne Kennedy, committee member
In his illustrated talk Ken told us that he arrived in the New University of Ulster in Coleraine from Durham in 1968 to lecture in the History Department. There he developed a degree in film and media studies. He explained the background to the establishment of the University – the Lockwood Report of 1965 recommended the site to be Coleraine rather than Derry. Interspersed with slides he showed short video clips of early events and personalities. The talk was well attended.
See News for report
Keith gave an interesting talk on the oldest sporting club in Coleraine – the Bann Rowing Club founded in 1841. He spoke about 2 men who had made huge contributions – Tommy Glen, cox, and Bobby Platt, oarsman, cox and coach who received an M.B.E. in 2012.
The boathouse was refurbished in 1992 and many female rowers joined. The 2012 Olympics featured Richard and Peter Chambers also Alan Campbell winning medals. A great boost for the Club which produced finance from the government. Several young male and female rowers are showing great potential for the future.
Keith explained the reason for no longer holding a Regatta. This was due to changes in the river.
Keith’s talk complemented the recent publication on the history of the Club – “The Champions of the Bann” by Ronnie Gamble and Keith Ferguson.
Mike Jones presenting Keith with his gift
Thirty members and visitors braved a cold and snowy night to hear Billy Bones speak on his time in Coleraine pantomimes. He gave a short history of pantomime and explained some of the traditions e.g. “goodies” enter stage right and “baddies” enter stage left also audiences are encouraged to participate verbally in the drama.
Billy was a fan of pantomime from a young age. He acted in Coleraine Drama Club, Killowen Parish Players and the Provincial Players, usually playing the “Dame”. Coleraine Town Hall was the eventual “home” of the town’s Pantomime.
Billy worked with Ballymoney Literary and Debating Society, Portrush Summer Theatre and the Riverside Theatre in Coleraine.
A talented and humorous man.
Billy and Chairman Robert
Our speaker related the story of a triple shooting which occurred in Dunmore House, Carrigans, Co. Donegal. The house was occcupied by Colonel Robert McClintock, his wife Jenny, their son William and his fiancee Helen Macworth. William had served in the army but had suffered severe spinal injuries from falling off a horse. On 24.9.1938 William, his mother and his fiancee were found shot dead.
A jury found that William had been shot by his mother when she was of unsound mind. She then shot herself as did Helen.
There are many unanswered questions in this case, hence the title “mysterious” being given to the talk.
Chris Kirkpatrick (Treasurer), Robert Anderson (Chairman), Frank McGurk, Ken McCormack
Talbot was born in London in 1852 and was a frequent visitor to Castlerock where he married Elizabeth Jane Greer in 1876. He also saved his cousin from drowning there.
In addition to being in the type founding industry he became a writer of boys’ fiction and contributed to the Boy’s Own Paper and the Leeds Mercury. The former publication began in 1879 as an antidote to the “penny dreadfuls”. He wrote many books the most famous being “The Fifth Form at St. Dominics” (1881) which was later made into a film. Talbot died of tuberculosis in 1893 at the early age of 41.
In Castlerock Presbyterian Church there is a memorial plaque to his wife who died on 7 November 1930 aged 81.
Our member Geoff had a comprehensive collection of many of Reed’s publications on display for us. A most interesting talk on an author of whom many would not have known.
Geoff Warke with committee member Mike Jones
Jay Nethercott, James Weston and Chairman Robert Anderson
James Weston gave an illustrated history of the Ulster Gliding Club from its foundation in 1930. He explained the early methods of launch – bungey or catapult at various locations e.g. Tyrella Beach in Co. Down, Magilligan, Knockagh. In 1932 a glider cost £150. Heights and distances increased over the years. In 1938 a flight of 44 miles was achieved from Magilligan to Aldergrove. (Aldergrove is an out of bounds area now).
From 1965 – 1971 Long Kesh airfield was in use and by 1978 the Club had moved to its present site at Bellarena. The Club has a cadet scheme and flies people with disabilities.
Jay explained what should be taken on a long flight – sun glasses, hat, water, map,torch, phone, foam cushion to protect the spine on landing, food e.g. bananas, oranges. He had examples of glider wings and photographs on display.
The Club kindly donated 2 free glider flights to the Society which were won by ballot.
We will visit Sinclair Seaman’s Church in Belfast, The Gasworks Museum in Carrickfergus and then the Moravian Village of Gracehill. Lunch will be in the Chimney Corner. See News section for report and photographs.
In the early 19th century the original Town Book of Coleraine was compiled by John Claudius Beresford an Irish Society agent. It was a detailed list of the town’s buildings, tenants and acres (agricultural holdings). Andrew’s book has made the original more “user friendly”. He has included information from several sources including the 1756 and 1777 rent rolls and the 1738 Map of Acres. The latter was discovered recently by the local Irish Society. Andrew has photographed the frontage of all existing properties listed in the original book and put them alongside the sketches in the original book to illustrate the changes that 200 years have made to the town.
A very interesting and informative talk for those who are researching the history of Coleraine.
L to R: Diana Kirkpatrick (Secretary), Andrew Kane and Robert Anderson (Chairman).