Over 50 people, members and visitors, attended John’s illustrated talk.
In 1848 the railway line came from Belfast to Ballymena and by 1853 there was a line from Derry to Coleraine’s Waterside Station. Portrush was becoming a popular holiday resort and the railway reached there from Coleraine’s Northbrook Station in 1855.Over the years the station had 3 platforms, a restaurant and a turntable. The building was mock Tudor on a red brick base. The kiosk, which was indoors, is now preserved in the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. The watertanks (used for steam train visits) and signal box are listed. Until the 1960’s a branch line existed to the harbour.
The coming of the University of Ulster to Coleraine secured the future of Portrush station which had been threatened with closure.
The refurbishment of the station is almost complete.