28 members and visitors had an enjoyable outing on a pleasant sunny day.
Our guide for the day was Mr. Ken McCormack who joined us at our first destination, Dunmore House, Carrigans, Donegal. Here we were met by Lady McFarland who occupies the house. After tea and scones we were told of the history of the house and its occupants. We strolled through the beautiful walled garden which has several accurate sundials.
In September 1938 a tragedy occurred in which 3 people died. According to local newspapers an inquest jury found that Mrs J. McClintock, wife of Colonel McClintock and mother of William, had shot herself and her son on the day prior to his marriage to Miss Margaret Macworth. On finding her fiancee dead Margaret then shot herself.
A sundial being studied in the walled garden at Dunmore
Our next stop was St. Columb’s Park House in Derry/Londonderry. This 18th century manor house has been a peace and reconcilitation centre since its restoration in 1994. (William M. Thackery stayed here in 1840). Here we had lunch.
St. Columb’s Park House
Our final venue was Ashbrook House, the original part of which was built in 1590, and continuously occupied by the Beresford – Ash family. Set in 30 acres of mature parkland it is close to the River Faughan.
Tea/ coffee and biscuits in the dining room of Ashbrook House.